Vistara, India’s finest full-service carrier, joined hands with one of the world’s largest carriers, United Airlines, for an expanded association. The agreement enables United to codeshare on Vistara-operated Indian domestic flights and allows for customers of both carriers to earn and redeem frequent flier miles.
By the agreement, United Airlines will add its ‘UA’ designator code to more than 20 Vistara-operated flights each day opening up more than 20 destinations to United customers, including but not limited to Hyderabad, Kolkata and Ahmedabad. Ticket sales by the agreement will begin later this year, pending government approvals.
Commenting on this occasion, Mr. Sanjiv Kapoor, Vistara’s Chief Strategy & Commercial Officer, said: “We’re very happy to take our association with United Airlines to the next level with this codeshare agreement. This alliance will help us offer a vast global network to our customers and give us the chance of welcoming travelers from across the world to experience Vistara’s award-winning hospitality and service in India. Both United and Vistara are focused on providing seamless and hassle-free experience to customers, and we are confident that our respective customers will truly enjoy the benefits of this collaboration.”
United Airlines has served India from our New York/Newark hub for more than 14 years and in December of this year will begin operating new nonstop service between San Francisco and New Delhi,” said John Gebo, United’s senior vice president of Alliances. “We are pleased to enter into this new alliance agreement with Vistara to offer our customers traveling between the United States and India seamless access to more destinations throughout India”, he added.
The codeshare flights will offer convenient connections to and from the daily flights that United operates to Delhi and Mumbai directly from New York/Newark. Vistara flights operate from the same terminals as United at Delhi (T3) and Mumbai (T2), making connections at these airports more convenient and seamless. Beginning Dec. 5, 2019, United will start its seasonal service between San Francisco and New Delhi, enabling its customers from more than 80 U.S. cities to fly direct to India with just one stop in San Francisco. United Airlines customers travelling on Vistara will enjoy complimentary meals and will be able to choose between three different cabins, including India’s only Premium Economy class. The expanded partnership also offers shared frequent flyer benefits. United MileagePlus members will be able to earn and redeem frequent flyer miles on all Vistara routes and similarly, Vistara’s Club Vistara members will be able to earn and redeem CV Points on all Vistara and United routes.
As the highest-rated Indian airline on Skytrax and TripAdvisor and the winner of several ‘Best Airline’ awards, Vistara brings the combined experience of its parents Tata Sons, India’s largest and most respected business house, and Singapore Airlines, one of the world’s most respected airlines, to Indian aviation. The airline now connects 24 destinations and operates over 1200 flights a week with a fleet of 23 Airbus A320 and six Boeing 737-800NG aircraft. The airline has flown more than 15 million customers since starting operations in 2015.
Last year, Vistara placed its aircraft order of a combination of purchased and leased aircraft totalling 50 from the Airbus A320neo family (including the A321neo) for domestic India as well as short and medium-haul international operations, with deliveries scheduled between 2019 and 2023. Additionally, the airline has purchased six Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft that are scheduled to be delivered between 2020 and 2021 and will be used for long-haul international operations.
About Vistara (TATA SIA Airlines Limited)
TATA SIA Airlines Limited, known by the brand name Vistara, is a joint venture between Tata Sons Limited and Singapore Airlines Limited (SIA) with Tata Sons holding the majority stake of 51% in the company and SIA holding the remaining 49%. Vistara commenced its commercial operations on January 9, 2015 with an aim to set new standards in the aviation industry in India and it today connects destinations across the length and breadth of the country.